- Jean Marie Beaupuy – France
- Silvia Costa – Italy
- Daniela Drobnà – Slovakia
- Lisa Gualtieri – San Marino
- Andreas Morphitis – Cyprus
Poverty and social exclusion in Europe in crisis
In 2010, the EU reached 115.5 million people threatened by poverty and social exclusion, or 23% of the population. 40.2 million people, equivalent to 8% of the population suffer from severe material deprivation. 20% of children are affected or at risk of poverty, while youth unemployment has risen by 50% since 2008 to 22.5% in 2012. In addition, 8% of workers in the EU are "working poor".
The fight against poverty and social exclusion, poor results
The fight against poverty is one of the five guidelines of the Europe 2020 strategy. The EU aims to lift 20 million people out of poverty and achieve an employment rate of 75%. However, the Lisbon Strategy has not had the desired results. Many have been delays in the implementation of national reform programs, the EU has not invested contrary to the stated goal, 3% of its GDP in research and innovation. The European Social Fund (ESF) and the European Globalisation Adjustment of underused and continued funding for the MDP is not guaranteed.
Priority to the fight against poverty and social exclusion
- Reduce poverty, particularly involving civil society and encouraging volunteering and active citizenship.
Develop appropriate financial instruments
- Ensure adequate funding for the MDP, the ESF and the base adjustment to globalization.
- Initiatives focus on measures for youth and for employment.
An integrated, inclusive and preventive approach
- Implement measures for vulnerable people (elderly, homeless, disabled, children, minorities).
- Focus on education and vocational training for youth and adults.
- Combating the precariousness of the labor market, ensuring access to health care and public services.
- Promote the implementation of family policies, action programs social and cultural appropriate fiscal policies, a social investment pact designed to stimulate inclusive growth.
- Create a European fund for growth and investment.
- Develop a social economy and involve all actors of civil society.
These initiatives include the backstory of this approach. The implementation of all these measures is a program of action to effectively reduce poverty and sustainable in the EU.